Whenever you ask a well-seasoned character, they will tell you that Polymorph is one of the best—if not the best—spells in the fifth edition of Dungeons&Dragons. For these reasons, let’s explore why Polymorph receives such hype. What is the best one to use and how do you use it?
Read down below to understand one of tbe best spells in this entire game.
What Is Polymorph
Polymorph transforms any creature within your visible range into a new form. To avoid the effect, an unwilling creature must make a Wisdom saving throw. Note that the spell has no effect on a shapechanger or a creature with 0 hit points.
Polymorph Mechanics and Rules
These are some of the spell’s mechanics and description:
- Transforms a visible creature within sixty feet.
- Unwilling target makes a Wisdom saving throw to avoid being transformed.
- No effect on shapechangers.
- Can’t polymorph a creature if it already has zero hitpoints.
- New form can be any beast whose challenge rating is equal to or less than the target’s challenge rating.
- Target’s game statistics are replaced by the stats of the chosen beast.
- The target assumes the hit points of its new form.
- The creature is limited in the actions it can perform by the nature of its new form
- The target’s gear melds into the new form.
- The creature can’t activate, use, wield, or otherwise benefit from any of its equipment.
Best Polymorphs Spell List
There’s a vast selection of beasts with different abilities, so let’s dive in to see our curated list of the best polymorphs
Giant Elks are fast creatures, while their size allows them to fit a good amount of people or goods on their back. They have an Intelligence score of 7 and have their own giant elk language. They can also understand Common.
If need be, a giant elk can fight with an enemy thanks to its 10-foot range Ram Attack.
Giant shark is arguably the best combat-centered aquatic form you could transform someone into. Given that it can already breathe underwater, it also has 126HP, incredible swim speed, and high Constitution score to help keep Concentration.
Tyrannosaurs Rex can be your best bet if you want to obliterate any typical encounter for the following few levels. This creature deals a whole lot of damage with Multiattack that involves a bite and a smashing tail.
The downside to this creature is that Multiattack can’t be used on one target alone.
This creature is the best option for scouting. It has one of the longest-ranged Darkvision in the game with an Intelligence score of 8.
Not only that, it understands Common. If someone in your party has the Comprehend Languages spell, then the giant owl has their own Giant Owl language.
It has a huge health pool despite the lack of good AC. Not only that, it has a 10-foot reach Multi-attack and the only beast creature that has a ranged attack.
Besides that, it has a range of 50 feet. Plus at long range with disadvantage, it has a range of 100 feet.
Conclusion To Polymorph Spell List
Polymorph is a poweful spell if you know how to use it. Even though it’s hard to understand in many angles, it rewards players who invest the time to master it.
If you want to further study the spells to expand your knowledge, you can learn more through this Reddit link. Happy playing!